Incident Performance

HSE Goals

Our primary goals are to safeguard the health and safety of our employees and communities while protecting the environment. Annual goals and targets, established following a critical evaluation of our current HSE performance, are aligned with our overall strategies.

The strategies are designed to address key issues facing the organization, and are documented and communicated via the HSE Roadmap, a three-year plan for HSE improvement. A dashboard comprising key metrics will guide Baker Hughes to success in meeting our goals.

2012 HSE Goal Performance

Our safety culture continues to mature with company leaders participating in HSE Leadership Academies, enhancing their skills to effectively coach employees to recognize and reduce risk. Driving continues to present challenges, and we fell short of our injury rate goals but improved year-on-year. Performance results for 2012 HSE goals are provided in the table below.



(click to enlarge)

During 2012, we emphasized “Safety On and Off the Job,” as well as the following key HSE focus areas:

  • Continue culture shift with the right balance of personal and process safety
  • Inherently safer design, products, and standards
  • Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement compliance with global offshore safety expansion
  • Healthy and fit workforce
  • Hazards observed, reported, and actioned
  • Transportation safety risks mitigated
  • Sustainability/resource use

Safety performance

Injury prevention continues to be a major focus for the enterprise. We achieved a 27% reduction in our Short-Service Employee Total Recordable Incident Rate. We also reduced our overall employee TRIR by 6% and continue to rank in the top quartile of our industry in these key metrics. As in prior years, hands were the leading affected body part and sprains/strains the leading injury type. Tragically, we did experience an employee fatality during the year when an elevated chemical container fell during a sample collection.

Injury Rate by Year

Transportation safety performance slipped slightly with a 7% increase in the Motor Vehicle Accident Rate (MVAR) and the Motor Vehicle Crash Rate (MVCR). This reflects a decrease in kilometers driven and a significant increase in the number of animal strikes. In 2012, we expanded the use of In-Vehicle Monitoring Systems (IVMS) to 96% of our fleet with the remaining 4% in countries where IVMS are prohibited. Three very successful Journey Management Centers were established in the Middle East. We also improved our training programs with the development of three new web-based programs for driver trainers and assessors, drivers, and managers. These programs and technologies will provide our operations leaders with a solid foundation for excellence in driving safety.

Vehicle Accident Rates by Year

For more information on Baker Hughes HSE goals and initiatives, and a detailed analysis of our health, safety and driving performance, please download our latest Annual HSE&S Report (see Associated Information).