- Get assured liquid shutoff through the cement with self-sealing properties
- Gain improved cement ductility, lower Young’s modulus, higher Poisson’s ratio
- Ensure easier mixing thanks to the system’s hydrophilic composition
- Cementing in fields with a history of sustained casing pressure
- High tectonic stress areas
- Wells in hydraulically fractured areas
Help ensure well integrity and zonal isolation for the life of your well with the Baker Hughes EnsurSet™ self-sealing cement system.
Changes in pressure and temperature over time may lead to failure or cracking of the cement sheath that allows annular pressure to build up. This cracking and pressure build-up can lead to lost production, collapsed casing, contaminated water zones, and increased workover costs to address the problem. This situation is further complicated by current US federal regulation, which prohibits plugging and abandoning wells with sustained annular pressure.
Effective cement sealing without a workover
With its advanced mechanical properties, the EnsurSet self-sealing cement system swells in the presence of hydrocarbons to shut off the flow through the cement matrix and micro-annulus. This self-sealing feature provides several well integrity benefits, including:
- Sealing cracks up to 0.009 in. (0.2286 mm)
- Improving the ductility of the cement and the tensile-to-compressive strength ratio
- Lowering Young’s Modulus and providing a higher Poisson’s ratio
The EnsurSet system can self-seal multiple times to deliver a durable cement sheath customized to meet your specific well challenges. And its hydrophilic nature ensures that the cement easily mixes and pumps in the field using conventional cement equipment.
The system’s self-sealing cement additive is blended with the cement just before it is pumped into the well. The additive remains inactive until it contacts hydrocarbon. At that point, the self-sealing material absorbs the hydrocarbon and swells to plug the gap and seal the hydrocarbon flow. Flow is reduced within just 24 hours, and cracks are fully sealed in as little as 48 hours.
Deploy the EnsurSet system in slurry densities from 12.4 to 17.5-ppg at temperatures up to 325°F (163°C), without any negative impacts on the slurry.
Contact us to learn how the EnsurSet self-sealing cement system can maximize your well’s integrity and minimize workover costs.