- Complete curve in one run with high ROP
- Achieve desired build-up rate in unconsolidated formation with good toolface control
- Drill on schedule and under budget
- Drilled full curve on one run
- Achieved 16°/100 ft BUR
- Drilled 60% faster than the competitor average
- Saved a full day of drilling time
- Saved $100,000 USD in drilling costs
An operator in the Permian Basin needed to drill the curve section in the challenging Middle Sprayberry formation. The soft shale and unconsolidated sands made it difficult to complete a build angle due to erratic toolface control. The previous well required three different bottomhole assemblies (BHAs) to finish the curve, resulting in five days of drilling, putting them behind schedule and over budget.
Download the PDF to read the full case study.