- Drill more efficiently with improved lubricity and wellbore stability
- Improve rig economics with simplified transportation logistics and wellsite storage
- Reduce post-drilling cleanup time and minimize disposal costs
- Unconventional gas/shale wells up to 275°F (135°C)
- Horizontal, deviated, and extended-reach wells
- Drilling operations with challenging well paths
The LATIDRILL™ high-performance water-based fluid system from Baker Hughes provides a simple solution to your complex drilling challenges. The system offers a competitive, water-based fluid alternative to oil-based mud (OBM) in land-based unconventional, deviated, and lateral wells—offering you exceptional environmental, logistical, and economic benefits in the process.
Simple formulation, substantial performance benefits
While OBMs are the traditional choice for improving wellbore stability and rate of penetration (ROP) in challenging wells, they also pose environmental risks and logistical downsides. The LATIDRILL system is specifically designed to deliver lubricity and stability like an OBM, while improving rigsite logistics and minimizing environmental impact.
Baker Hughes drilling fluid experts developed the LATIDRILL system with three main components that work together to create a high-performance water-based mud (HPWBM) system that is simple and highly stable.
- The LATIBASE™ multifunctional, water-based drilling fluid additive provides effective viscosity and fluid loss performance in all well sections up to 275F
- The LATIMAGIC™ wellbore stabilizer and lubricant increases your drilling efficiency and wellbore integrity in zones that are prone to differential sticking or problematic microfracturing
- The LATIRATE™ ROP enhancer and lubricant reduces downhole friction to maximize the rig’s applied torque, while penetrating into the cutting as it forms, effectively reducing chip hold-down pressure and increasing ROP
Together, these components form a system that uses a minimum number of components to deliver maximum drilling efficiency at the rigsite, with overall reduced logistical and environmental impact.
By using fewer products, the LATIDRILL system can simplify your wellsite and transportation logistics while freeing up rigsite storage space. Rig personnel can spend less time mixing mud and more time on the drill floor, which further improves your drilling efficiency and economics.
The LATIDRILL system’s simple formulation and superior performance make it a unique and viable alternative to OBMs in complex wells. In a growing number of drilling jobs around the world, the system significantly reduces drilling time, delivers substantial cost savings, and helps get the well into production faster.
Contact us today to learn how the LATIDRILL high-performance water-based fluid system can deliver these same benefits to your drilling operations.