- Harsh, offshore environment
- Large natural fractures with poor matrix quality rock
- Inadequate understanding of fracture position and long-term production behavior
- Two-trip completion design
- Deployment of continuous fiber-optic system across the full wellbore
- Deployed the SureCONNECT system to achieve fiber-optic, real-time monitoring across the entire wellbore, for the life of the well
- Enabled operator to make data-driven decisions to optimize reservoir performance and proactively mitigate risks
- Flawlessly executed installation without any HSE incidents
Baker Hughes worked with a major operator offshore Scotland to implement a SureCONNECTTM downhole intelligent wet-mate system, to successfully link SureVIEWTM fiber-optic cable throughout the entire length of its offshore well. The operations resulted in successfully mating six optical fibers—each the size of a human hair—between the upper and lower completion, more than a mile below the earth’s surface. This was the first successful commercial deployment of SureCONNECT, which is a modular wet-mate system designed to enable downhole connection of electric and hydraulic lines, in addition to optical fiber deployed in this project.
Download the PDF to read the full case study.